A co-op is an organization owned, operated, and financed by its owners. Green Top Grocery is owned by those who purchase shares (providing equity for the store). Ownership is open to all, and anyone can shop at the co-op regardless of whether they are an owner or not. In many ways, a co-op grocery store is just like any other grocery store – it carries the range of products and offers many services found in a typical grocery store.
Today co-ops around the world, including ours, are guided by seven principles. These principles help us remember who we are, what we are trying to do, and how we’ve agreed to do it.
- Voluntary and Open Membership
- Democratic Member Control
- Member Economic Participation
- Autonomy and Independence
- Education, Training, and Information
- Cooperation Among Cooperatives
- Concern for Community